Monday, September 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Dear Braxton....

I know this sound totally cliche but I cannot believe my baby is 4 years old. I really have taken so much for granted and wish I could go back to days that I will never have back.

We tried to make Braxton's birthday extra fun for him. We have been planning it for weeks now. Braxton and I started a couple of weeks ago looking for a cake. He decided on this dinosaur one. I was kind of scared thinking it looked a little hard, but it ended up being really easy. I have tried to make it a tradition for my kids to make their birthday cakes. Not that they care but I really want to make their birthday's special. His first birthday it was a puppy, second-elmo, third-train, and now a dino. I theme it around what they are interested in that year so I can always remember what age they liked different things at.

I had to wake up super early....well 7:00 to run to the store to get powdered sugar so I could finish making the frosting. Braxton woke up shortly after. I sang happy birthday and he ran into our bedroom to wake Brian up telling him he wanted to open his presents. I always go over board and this year was no exception. It makes it all worth it when you see the faces light up though.




We later had a party with some friends and cousins that he chose to come (it was his first friend party and I don't know if I want to ever do another one). We went to Jumpin Jacks then back to the house for a dinosaur hunt and pin the horn on the triceratops. We had a lot of fun and really enjoyed every bit of it. He loved all the gifts he received from friends.

He did receive an early gift from Grandma Hawkins and Aunt Missy yesterday. I told them he needed winter clothes more than toys. He asked me if he could open it up (it was in a bag). He pulled the tissue paper out and said, "where is the present?" I told him that was the present. He pulled out the shirt with a weird look and said, "No this is a shirt!" and then put it down and ran off. I loved the present though. Thanks Grandma and Missy.

10 comments:

Britt said...

So cute! I like the homemade cake idea, too...that seems like a fun tradition!

the lunch lady said...

happy birthday!

I am way impressed at your cake making skills!

Rob & Autum said...

That dino cake is so cute! My mom always made our birthday cakes when we were little and I want to carry on that tradition too! I will have to get some ideas from you.

Becca said...

A new bike, too!! You really do know how to spoil them. Very nice! And I love the Martha Stewart b-day dino.

SarahC said...

How much fun was that I bet! He looked like he had such a fun birthday. You are such a good mom Laura! Happy Birthday Braxton!

JJ&K said...

hey good job with the cake! i can't believe Braxton is 4! hey so question about your friend Tim. have you had any luck finding him a date? i have a cute single friend and i just want to know if he's still available. oh and how old is he?

Sherrie said...

I'm totally impressed that you made that cake. my specialty is a square cake. Once i tried a round layered cake and the top layer slipped off to the side. That's as adventureous as I decided to go with the cakes.

Blackham Family said...

Way cute cake. I cant beleive he is 4 holy cow. Sorry about today again. I am just glad you understood. Darn bad weather.

Dani said...

The cake is AWESOME! You are supermom

Shem said...

Your cake turned out GREAT! And you say you aren't a baker.